THE BLOG

30
Jun

Tom Cruise drops into London sports ground by private helicopter

Tom Cruise made a surprise visit to Morden in London today (June 30).

The Jack Reacher star landed his private helicopter in the Old Rutlishian Sports’ Ground.

Old Ruts Football Club wrote a tongue in cheek Twitter post following Cruise’s arrival. It said: “Lets hope this coming season isn’t a mission impossible. Mr Top Gun himself dropped by poplar road. @TomCruise”

The Wimbledon Guardian claimed the star landed around 10am and was swiftly whisked away in a BMW to film scenes for his latest project Jack Reacher: Never Go Back but The Sun suggested the star could be on his way to nearby Wimbledon to watch the tennis.

Lets hope this coming season isn't a mission impossible. Mr Top Gun himself dropped by poplar road. @TomCruise pic.twitter.com/K0Uog6o9Pl— Old Ruts Football (@oldrutsfootball) June 30, 2016

Earlier this month, Paramount released the first full-length trailer for Jack Reacher: Never Go Back. You can watch the trailer below.

Cruise reprises his role from 2012’s Jack Reacher as a former military police officer turned vigilante who wanders across America as a drifter. The films are based on a series of novels by British author Lee Child.

The first film grossed over $218 million (£147 million) at cinemas globally and the sequel was officially announced last year (2015). Cruise is joined in Jack Reacher: Never Go Back by The Avengers’ Cobie Smulders and Prison Break’s Robert Knepper. 

The sequel’s official plot synopsis teases: “Jack Reacher: Never Go Back follows the title character as he returns to Virginia to meet the head of his former unit. But she’s missing, he’s being charged with a crime committed nearly 20 years ago, and he may even have a daughter. Making things right will lead him on a cross-country chase to uncover the truth – and maybe even a family.”

Edward Zwick (Blood Diamond, The Last Samurai) directs and co-wrote the film’s script based on Child’s novel Never Go Back. The sequel is scheduled for release on October 21 this year. 

Tom Cruise drops into London sports ground by private helicopter

30
Jun

Subject of 'Serial' podcast Adnan Syed is granted a retrial

Adnan Syed the subject of the break-out podcast Serial has been granted a retrial.

He was imprisoned for the murder of his ex-girlfriend Hae Min Lee in 1999 and has been serving a life sentence ever since.

But a judge in Maryland has granted a retrial. C. Justin Brown, Syed’s lawyer, tweeted the decision this afternoon (June 30), posting: “WE WON A NEW TRIAL FOR ADNAN SYED.”

The announcement follows three days of post-conviction hearings in February during which Mr. Syed and his legal team were able to present new evidence, including the testimony of a new alibi witness, and argue that his original defence counsel had been grossly negligent.

WE WON A NEW TRIAL FOR ADNAN SYED!!! #FreeAdnan— Justin Brown (@CJBrownLaw) June 30, 2016

The post-trial proceedings were held before a retired Baltimore City Circuit Court judge, who granted his request for a hearing last November.

Syed first filed a request for a post-conviction hearing in 2010 but was denied.

Downloaded more than 130 million times since its launch in 2014, the podcast raised questions about Syed’s trial lawyer. Host Sarah Koenig regularly talked to Syed on the phone in prison and interviewed others who knew Syed in high school, as well as his family and lawyers.

Earlier this month, it was also revealed that a TV series based on the podcast titled ‘Adnan Syed: Innocent or Guilty?’ was to be screened on Investigation Discovery UK.

Speaking about the programme, Clare Laycock, Head of Investigation Discovery UK, said at the time: “On Investigation Discovery we have real-crime all the time and following our special on the controversial Steven Avery case as featured in the hit Netflix series Making a Murderer earlier this year, we are excited to share the latest in this unfolding saga with viewers.

“The serialised podcast in 2014 has more than 130 million downloads to date, and made everyone a detective. With a judge expecting to make a decision at any time, we want to give our viewers not only the crucial information surrounding Adnan Syed’s case, but also the personal, first-hand accounts of what to expect from key players.”

Subject of 'Serial' podcast Adnan Syed is granted a retrial

30
Jun

Watch Tinie Tempah perform live at McDonald's in Walsall

Tinie Tempah has just performed a live concert in McDonald’s in Walsall.

The rapper packed out the fast food restaurant on Park Street this evening (June 30) for an impromptu set. He was playing the gig as part of McDonald’s Good Times campaign.

You can watch the gig back on Tempah’s Facebook page.

The grime star recently revealed his retirement plan: to have three years of fun and then retire to a farm, where he hopes to raise animals and a baby. 

The 27-year-old rapper runs a record label (DL Records) and sells clothes alongside his musical career, and has released two albums to date, 2013’s ‘Demonstration’ and 2010’s ‘Disc-Overy’. He also released a ‘Junk Food’ mixtape back in December of last year.

Speaking on the Jonathan Ross earlier this year, the rapper seemed to suggest the end of his career is in sight, and that he’s almost done with urban life.

“I’m trying to eventually have a family, maybe like 30. Thirty is a good age to start, probably. Three more years of a lot of fun and then probably settle down, have a family, live on a farm, get some animals,” he said.

Tinie also revealed himself to be a fan of rural-leaning BBC affairs show Countryfile.

The rapper had previously suggested that he might not produce much more music in album form, saying that the format is “dead” back in 2014.

”This is a Spotify/iTunes/shuffle generation,” he said. ”I don’t think people really listen to albums completely from track one to twelve. People now curate their own playlists, so I think it’s clever to beat them to it and say, ‘Here it is, done for you.’

”A third album will emerge some time, but I think another after that is uncertain,” he added.

Watch Tinie Tempah perform live at McDonald's in Walsall

30
Jun

Listen to Weezer and Trent Reznor honour NASA space mission with new tracks

Weezer and Trent Reznor have honoured NASA’s Juno probe mission to Jupiter by posting two songs online.

Weezer announced the arrival of their track ‘I Love The USA’ with an enthusiastic tweet stating: “Celebrating @NASAJuno’s historic landing on 7/4 w/ a new song!” 

Reznor meanwhile teamed up with his longtime film-scoring partner Atticus Ross for ‘Juno’, named after the probe. You can listen to both tracks below.

NASA launched the unmanned probe towards Jupiter in 2011. Juno is set to enter the planet’s orbit on July 4.

Celebrating @NASAJuno’s historic landing on 7/4 w/ a new song! “I Love The USA” is up exclusively on @AppleMusic https://t.co/qi1te4zYpw— weezer (@Weezer) June 30, 2016

“Juno will plunge into uncharted territory, entering orbit around the gas giant and passing closer than any spacecraft before,” NASA’s website explains. “But first it must pass the trial of orbit insertion.”

Meanwhile, Weezer frontman Rivers Cuomo recently discussed the band’s next album, saying it could sound like “The Beach Boys gone bad”.

The L.A. four-piece released their self-titled 11th album – also known as ‘The White Album’ – earlier this year and Cuomo suggested their next effort could be a darker offering known as ‘The Black Album’.

“What could stand out more against ‘White’ than ‘Black’?” he explained.

“I think it’s going to maybe be like Beach Boys gone bad,” he continued. “I’m thinking of swearing, which is something I’ve never done in songs.” 

Cuomo also said the album would tackle “more mature topics” and be “less summer day and more winter night”, adding: “If it were a movie in the United States it would be rated R instead of PG.” He then said the band could return to the recording studio as soon as October.

Listen to Weezer and Trent Reznor honour NASA space mission with new tracks

30
Jun

Drum kit used by The Beatles to record 'Love Me Do' goes up for auction

A drum kit used by The Beatles to record ‘Love Me Do’ is being auctioned off.

The Ludwig kit went under the hammer today (June 30) at Nate D. Sanders Auctions for a bidding price of $150,000 (£113,300).

It was played by one time Beatles drummer Andy White, who briefly sat in for Ringo Starr during the recording of the track. White was asked to re-record the hit with Starr on tambourine.

The drum set comes from the personal collection of Clive Edwards, who studied drumming with Reg Weller – White’s close friend. The Beatles drum set includes a letter of authenticity from White’s widow Thea.

White reflected on the recording session during a 2012 interview with the BBC, stating: “From the drum sound I can tell that I was on (the album) ‘Please Please Me’, because it was a vastly different sound to Ringo’s drum set at that time. This was before he got the Ludwig kit.

“Each drummer gets an individual sound, first of all by the way they tune the drums and then by the way they play the drums.”

He also used the same drum kit to record with Billy Fury for his first album ‘The Sound Of Fury’. White died in Caldwell, New Jersey last year, at the age of 85.

Meanwhile, The Beatles recently authorised a new video for ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps’ to mark the tenth anniversary of their Cirque Du Soleil show.

The Beatles Love opened in 2006 in Las Vegas and is still hosted at the Mirage Hotel in the city. 

The video for the ‘Love Version’ of ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps’ highlights new performances within The Beatles Love. It’s directed by performance artists Dandypunk, Leah Moyer and Andre Kasten.

Drum kit used by The Beatles to record 'Love Me Do' goes up for auction

30
Jun

UK Blu-ray and DVD release date set for 'Captain America: Civil War'

A UK Blu-ray and DVD release date for Captain America: Civil War has been set for September 5.

The latest Avengers movie will be released with the former featuring up to 60 minutes of extra bonus footage which includes deleted scenes, the making of and an exploration of the evolution of Iron Man and Captain America.

The release also includes a gag reel of outtakes and a behind the scenes sneak peak of the forthcoming Doctor Strange movie.

Earlier this year, Robert Downey Jr hinted

UK Blu-ray and DVD release date set for 'Captain America: Civil War'

30
Jun

Watch David Gilmour perform Pink Floyd's 'One Of These Days' for the first time in two decades

David Gilmour has performed Pink Floyd track ‘One Of These Days’ for the first time in more than 20 years.

Gilmour and his solo band performed the track during their set at the Plac Wolnosci in Wroclaw, Poland earlier this week. It was also the first time he has ever performed it as part of his solo set. You can watch footage of the track below.

The ex-Pink Floyd man debuted ‘Dancing Right In Front Of Me’ from his recent ‘Rattle That Lock’ LP during a set that also featured tracks from his and Floyd’s back catalogue including ‘Wish You Were Here’, ‘Run Like Hell’, ‘Time’ and ‘Comfortably Numb’.

Gilmour is now set to play two shows in Pompei in Italy on July 7 and 8 for the first time since Pink Floyd played there in October 1971. 

Recording their performance in an empty stadium, the band later released the show as a concert film. ‘Live At Pompei’ remains one of the most popular concert films in musical history.

Earlier this year, he paid tribute to the tragic passing of Prince during a recent performance at London’s Royal Albert Hall. The ex-Pink Floyd guitarist surprised the crowd by mashing up his former band’s classic ‘Comfortably Numb’ with ‘Purple Rain’.

Gilmour played the show as a special benefit for the Teenage Cancer Trust. He didn’t sing, instead letting his guitar and three backing singers do the work as he closed out the show in style. 

This isn’t Gilmour’s first time covering Prince’s magnum opus, either. He also performed the track with Tom Jones in 1992.

Watch David Gilmour perform Pink Floyd's 'One Of These Days' for the first time in two decades

30
Jun

Spotify claims Apple blocking new version of its app to squash competition

Spotify is claiming that Apple has rejected an update for its iPhone app to stop it competing with Apple Music.

The Swedish streaming music company’s latest version of its iOS was blocked by Apple for violating its “business model rules”, Rencode reports.

Spotify wants to implement its own subscription service to bill its customers rather than use Apple’s, which charges a 30 percent monthly cut.

All app developers are currently forced to use Apple’s service for subscription payments.

In a letter sent to Apple’s top lawyer, Spotify said the rules “exclude and diminish the competitiveness of Spotify on iOS and as a rival to Apple Music”.

It adds: “we cannot stand by as Apple uses the App Store approval process as a weapon to harm competitors.”

Press

Spotify has also sent copies of the letter to Congressional staff in Washington, D.C. It comes after US Senator Elizabeth Warren criticised Apple, Amazon and Google for their anticompetitive practices.

Apple’s policy of charging a monthly fee of up to 30% for using its billing service has previously led Amazon to release a limited version of its mobile app rather than pay the additional cost.

Last week, Spotify announced that it now has more than 100m monthly active users. Apple Music has made significant gains since its launch in June 2015, reaching 10m paying subscribers in January.

Spotify claims Apple blocking new version of its app to squash competition

30
Jun

'Nashville' cast nearing deal to return on new TV network after cancellation

Nashville’s cast members are close to signing a deal to move to US television network CMT for a new series following the show’s cancellation.

The country music drama was not renewed for a fifth series by ABC earlier this year. The finale of season four aired on May 25 in the US.

Last month, CMT announced plans to bring back the show for a new series.

According to Entertainment Weekly, most of the cast are expected to return including leads Connie Britton and Hayden Panettiere. Charles Esten, Clare Bowen, Lennon Stella, Maisy Stella, Sam Palladio, Jonathan Jackson, and Chris Carmack are among those also making the move.

Only Aubrey Peeples and Will Chase have confirmed that they will not be joining their costars on their new network.

Speaking to Variety, CMT president Brian Philips said, “The wave of love and appreciation they have unleashed for ‘Nashville’ has been overwhelming.”

“’Nashville’ is a perfect addition to our evolving line-up of big music specials, documentaries, and original series,” he continued. “We see our fans and ourselves in this show and we will treasure it like no other network. ‘Nashville’ belongs on CMT.”

A premiere date for the new season is yet to be announced.

'Nashville' cast nearing deal to return on new TV network after cancellation

30
Jun

Alanis Morissette posts naked picture of herself with a baby bump underwater

Alanis Morissette has posted a nude photo of herself sporting a large baby bump while floating underwater.

The Canadian singer quoted her five-year-old son Ever Imre in the caption on her Instagram account, which states “you have to be extra gentle around ladies because they are the most helpful people in the world ’cause they make persons.”

She previously announced in an animated video posted on social media in February, which you can watch below, that she was expecting a second child with rapper husband Mario Treadway, who goes by the stage name, Souleye. She married Treadway in 2010.

Earlier this year, the Canadian singer also announced that she had been hired by The Guardian newspaper, for a new advice column.

"you have to be extra gentle around ladies because they are the most helpful people in the world 'cause they make persons" -Ever Imre Morissette-Treadway A photo posted by Alanis Morissette (@alanis) on Jun 28, 2016 at 6:38pm PDT

At the time she said: “I’m definitely a therapy girl. I think that’s quite obvious. I don’t want to say everyone should [have therapy], but do I think everyone might benefit from it? Yes. But I’m aware that a lot of people have great resistance to it.”

Morissette said her ‘therapist’ style comes in part from her experience with her own family, adding: “Parents, brothers, even extended family members, that was the role I took on, because I suppose I had this combination of intuition and empathy. I cut my teeth, basically, listening for a living.”

She also wrote about marriage and parenting, adding: “Both marriage and becoming a parent have their way of growing us up. It is just about whether we kick and scream through the process (or, ultimately, run from it), or submit to it willingly and with a relatively open mind.

“The choice is yours, and yours alone. Without a deep personal commitment to growing and healing (alone and together with your partner), it is simply not possible to achieve a functional relationship.”

Alanis Morissette posts naked picture of herself with a baby bump underwater

Bitnami